Insects can be pests anywhere, but they are a particularly worrisome issue for commercial kitchens. Creepy crawlies can carry food borne illnesses, including staphylococcus and E. coli.
One of the best ways to prevent pests in your facility is to focus on floor care. Follow these tips to keep insects out of your commercial kitchen:
1. Clean up spills as soon as they happen. The floors of many commercial kitchens are porous. Food spills and moisture can be absorbed, making them very attractive to insects. Keep them at bay by immediately cleaning up any spills.
2. Focus on floor drains. Make this a priority in your weekly cleaning routine! Floor drains are often ignored, but their undersides can quickly become coated with oil, grease, sediment and food that make them a haven for insects.
3. Vacuum your floors. Soil and food particulates can become lodged in the cracks, crevices and corners of your floors, and they won’t always be removed with mopping. Use a vacuum once a week to vacuum on the dry floor.
4. Get rid of clutter. Pests thrive when they have places to hide. Remove the opportunity by removing clutter from your commercial kitchen.
5. Use bio-cleaning agents to eradicate food particulates that get stuck in the floor’s pores. We are happy to recommend the best cleaning supplies in Boston for digesting organic soils. Contact us today to learn more!