When you think of green cleaning supplies, you likely picture eco-friendly chemical formulas packaged in green bottles or paper towels made from recycled paper, but cleaning equipment itself can also be sustainable.
These products reduce environmental impact of cleaning programs while reducing exposure of maintenance personnel and building occupants to potentially hazardous biological, chemical and particulate contaminants. Using the green cleaning equipment has less of an impact on the air quality, building finishes, human health and the environment than using conventional equipment.
What makes cleaning equipment green?
- Floor maintenance equipment includes guards, vacuums or other elements that capture fine particles. They also operate with a sound level less than 70dBA.
- Equipment reduces the potential for damaging building surfaces because they are designed with safeguards, like rubber bumpers or rollers.
- Floor equipment powered by propane has low-emissions, high-efficiency converters, and their mufflers meet the standards outlined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for sound levels and engine sizes.
- Powered equipment reduces user fatigue, noise and vibration through ergonomic design.
- Battery-powered equipment runs on gel batteries that have less of an environmental impact than conventional batteries.
- Automated scrubbing machines are designed with on-board chemical metering and variable-speed feed pumps. These elements are more sustainable because they optimize the dispersion and use of cleaning fluids. As an alternative, scrubbing machines may rely solely on tap water with no added chemical cleaning products.
Sustainable cleaning equipment is part of an overall green cleaning program. Banner Systems is proud to carry these and other eco-friendly janitorial supplies. For more information about “greening your clean,” contact one of our highly-knowledgable team members here!