The other day a customer called Banner Systems and was wondering why her VCT reception area floor had a hazy, powdery look.
As we explained to her, it could be due to a few different reasons. Perhaps the finish was applied without a sealer on a pitted floor, or the finish was applied in extremely cold temperatures.
If the coats of finish are applied too thinly, it can cause a powdery look or perhaps the recently used burnishing pad was too aggressive.
If the floor was new and the transport coating from the manufacturer was not removed properly, the finish would not have adhered properly, thus creating a powdery appearance.
Are you experiencing problems with your floor appearance
Check out this great 11-minute floor finish video from Simoniz. It provides top-line answers to all the basic floor finish problems … from what to do to prevent dry back to why your floor finish is creating waves or ripples.
The video also gives advice on interim maintenance and what could be the causes of various appearance problems.
Some of the subjects it addresses include:
- What is causing sticky floors or shiny patches?
- What happens when stripper dries too fast?
- What is the result of insufficient floor finish dry time?
- What causes streaking and hazing on floor finish?
- What is the evidence of contaminated floor surfaces and how to correct it
- What happens if you apply too many coats of floor finish?